Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chris Matthews Implies, 'Liberal is anti-American'? What? Did You Hear That Too?

As made clearly apparent within a recent post by Chris Cillizza, apparently Chris Matthews must think that to liberal is to be anti-American! I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't heard it myself.

During a recent interview with Minnesota Republican Rep. Michelle Bachmann, one I watched myself, Mr. Matthews developed this hypothesis by apparently leveraging the 'ol "2 + 2 equals" mathematics combined with her comments about how some of Barack Obama's associations were with extremely liberal, anti-American types.

Yes, even after Ms. Bachmann repeatedly provided examples of how very specific liberal Americans held anti-American sentiments, Mr. Matthews some how managed to derive the conclusion that all liberal Americans held anti-American sentiments. Besides failing even the most rudimentary test of a sound, logical argument, I think it's unprofessional. Typical; but unprofessional.

With all the ongoing discussions about whether or not bloggers should be considered on some level to be journalists -- for reasons ranging from professionalism to specific education -- it is from many of the card-carrying journalists I tend to see the most unprofessional acts of spin and misinformation.

I like both Senators McCain and Obama, and I am concerned about either becoming our next President -- for some of the same reasons, and for some different reasons.

Regardless, I don't believe either of them would appreciate seeing Ms. Bachmann's words twisted against her, nor would they like to see an otherwise great journalist mistakenly believe all liberals are anti-American.

I'm just say'in.

No comments: